Fresh sweet corn is now in season – yum! I found the best deals at Vons / Pavilions “Real Big Deals” (4 for $1 Club Price, or 25 cents each). Both specials start tomorrow and run for one week (Wednesday, May 13th – Tuesday, May 19th).
My mom’s corn salad recipe still sets the bar for all others to beat – it’s also great as a dip, with tortilla chips:
“Big Helen’s Grilled Corn Salad”
- 4 ears of grilled corn (cut the corn from the cob with a knife)
- dice one fresh tomato (preferably a heirloom variety, but any will do)
- dice one red onion
- dice one bunch of cilantro
- finely dice one jalapeno (for extra-spicy)
- add one can of drained black beans
- squeeze one fresh lime
Add all the ingredients into a bowl and gently toss. Add salt and pepper to taste. This is one of those recipes that tastes even better the longer it marinates.